This site deals only with the corporate corruption of science, and makes no inference about the motives or activities of individuals involved.
There are many reasons why individuals become embroiled in corporate corruption activities - from political zealotry to over-enthusiastic activism; from gullibility to greed.
Please read the OVERVIEW carefully, and make up your own mind.
American Freedom Coalition
(AFC) A Reaganite lobby groups et up by the Unification Church. It was an attempt to buy into the Republican establishment.
The reference to the Moonies in the "airport business" is probably a sarcastic reference to their practitioners' claim to be able to fly...
Brock said Sun Yat? Moon of Unification church and Wash Times also directed the AFC, "a pro-Reagan, grassroots political lobby". Ran a Nicaraguan Freedom Fund endowed with $100k to support Nic contras - established 2 months after Oliver North drafted secret memo calling forsuch a fund. Four WT editors quit - violated of guarantee of editorial independence.
1990 Nov 15: Tim Hyde to Tom Griscom and Tom Ogburn at RJ Reynolds on how to build coalitions
You asked for my thoughts on how we might build broad coalitions around the issue-cluster of freedom, choice, and privacy; and, what organizations, interests, and groups might be engaged in such coalitions.
Potential Targets on the Right for coalitions:
In the last issue of The American Spectator,_for, example.,_there were three off-hand references or jibes at anti-smokers. We could and should help this along by articulating our case (by some third party) in the pages of the Cato Journal, The American Spectator, Public Interest, and other conservative journals.
We made a lot of crazy friends in the duPont campaign ....
Potential Targets on the Left
- Gun Guys (NRA),
- Right-toWork [anti-union groups],
- Newt Gingrich's GOPAC [Bo Calloway and Jeff Eisenach],
- Citizens Against Government Waste [Allan Keye],
- Committee for Republican Leadership [Pete du Pont's stalking horse for the Presidential campaign],
- Manhattan Institute [the primary anit-Nader research group],
- Moonies [American Freedom Coalition]
They're everywhere and much more legitimate since they got out of the airport business. Their newest front is the American Freedom Coalition. I'm not sure what they do, exactly, but they always seem to have staffers floating around the edge,
raising money for key candidates, placing people in campaigns and
- the Japanese [trade coalition],
- Taxpayers organizations [Grover Norquist's ATR and Lew Uhlers NTU]
Public Issue Resources
- The ACLU.
- Workers Rights Task Force a subset of the ACLU, which was set up with a grant from Philip Morris
- Mike Stratton and Rick Reiter [who] have been on contract to us for two years as presenters at Smokers' Reights Meetings. [Democrat Governors and DNC connections]
- Governor Romer (via Mike Stratton)
- John Hoy .. a wealth of experience and contacts among potential coalition allies — especially in the conservative community.
- Smokers Rights Groups
- Allied forces program [Randy ??]
Alan Gottlieb also connects to the American Freedom Coalition which has also shared offices with CDFE (Center for the Defense of Free Enterprise)